Peruvian Sublime Cupcakes
I remember the first time I had a Sublime. It was the first time I visited Peru. Like a fancy hotel that leaves a mint on your pillow, we had tiny Sublime candy bars on ours. The little silver package was peeled back to reveal a perfect combination of chocolate and peanuts. The salt & sweet combination was addicting and given that the packages were small, it was easy to enjoy several during the days were were in Lima.
The chocolate peanut candy bar called Sublime first appeared in Peru in 1926 and over the years has changed packaging, size, even color – but hasn’t changed the great taste. Now, Sublime comes in a variety of presentations including the Classic (30 grams), Extreme (72 grams) and the Stick (18 grams) as well as a White Sublime, Cookie Sublime and even Sublime Ice Cream.
With today being Chocolate Cupcake Day, I thought it only appropriate to celebrate by creating a Peruvian Sublime Cupcake with a perfect combination between chocolate and peanuts. If you ever find yourself in Peru, be sure to pick up a Sublime candy bar. But in the meantime, you can make these delicious cupcakes!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peanuts
- 1 recipe of Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl (or use a pyrex measuring cup!) whisk eggs until they are well-beaten. Add water, oil and vanilla and whisk together until combined. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together until just combined. Add peanuts and stir gently to incorporated, but do not overbeat.
- Scoop batter into lined cupcake pan, filling each about 2/3 full. Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes or until the top springs back when touched and a toothpick comes out clean when tested.
- Cool for a few minutes in the pan, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Frost with Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting and sprinkle 1 teaspoon of chopped peanuts on each cupcake.
- Serve & enjoy!