Day Three :: Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies
If I had to choose one and only one Christmas cookie to bake and eat, these Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies just might be “it.” This is a delicious combination of chocolate and peppermint that surely sings “Merry Christmas!”
During the Christmas season, we gravitate towards certain flavors. Peppermint is certainly one of those flavors. Mixing peppermint with chocolate only makes it that much better. If we were able to get candy canes here, I would be super tempted to sprinkle chopped candy cane on top of the Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies filled with the semi-sweet chocolate.
I admit, these cookies do feel a bit labor intensive. The Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies are not all that “difficult” but the timer seemed to just keeping going off and I kept getting up to attend to them all too much. But was it worth it? Definitely!
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar (I used rubia sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar (I used rubia sugar)
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, and salt. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla; beat to combine. Gradually add flour mixture and beat on low until combined. At this point, you can refrigerate the dough, which does help to make it easier to roll.
- Place 1/2 cup sugar in a small bowl. Roll dough into 1-inch balls, then roll in sugar to coat. Place balls, 1 inch apart, on two parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake 8 minutes. Remove sheets from oven; with the bottom of a small round measuring spoon, make an indentation in center of each cookie.
- Bake cookies until they are just set, but still look moist, about 5 minutes (do not overbake). Let cool on sheets on wire racks. Transfer to cooling racks.
- Microwave chocolate chips, 3T butter and shortening on medium, 30 seconds at a time until melted; stir in peppermint extract. Let cool until thick enough to pipe, 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a small plastic bag; snip 1/4-inch hole in one corner. Pipe chocolate into cookie indentations. Allow chocolate to harden slightly.
You can melt green mint chips to have the minty green filling shown here. I added a bit of shortening for shine and did not add the peppermint extract to the "chocolate" filling.
Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprint Cookies are part of the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies 2012 Series. View the other cookies in this series here:
Don’t miss all the Christmas Cookies on Provecho Peru!