Day Seven :: Sweet Polenta Spirals
Christmas cookies so often involve mint, chocolate, dried fruit and (if I could get my hands on them) candy canes. When I saw the idea of “cornmeal cookies” and I remembered my love for sweet polenta, I was sold. I just HAD to try them. To be honest, I am so glad I did. Sure, they are not the most traditional Christmas cookie you might find, but I just might make them traditional here!
- 3/4 cup instant polenta
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 200 gram butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- In a large bowl, combine the instant polenta and hot water, stirring to moisten. Allow this mixture to rest 5-10 minutes or until the polenta softens.
- Stir in zest, yolks, and sugar. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender or two knives, until butter is well incorporated. Gradually add flour, stirring (or continuing with the pastry blender) until flour is absorbed. Cover the bowl with plastic and allow it to rest for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer dough to a pastry bag with a star-shaped tip. Pipe spirals of dough onto parchment, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Bake at 325F until the edges are golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool slightly on the baking sheets before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
It is important that the polenta be "instant" otherwise the water will not easily absorb and it will not easily soften in the water.
You could make small or large spirals depending on your preference. (Personally I LOVED the small ones!) Just be sure to keep all the cookies on one sheet the same size for even cooking.
This is part of the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies 2012 Series. View the other cookies in this series here:
Day One :: White Chocolate Apricot Oatmeal Cookies
Day Two :: Mocha Pecan Balls
Day Three :: Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprints
Day Four :: Allspice Thumbprints
Day Five :: Molasses Spice Cookies
Day Six :: Cardamom Snaps
Don’t miss all the Christmas Cookies on Provecho Peru!