Day Ten :: Eggnog Snickerdoodles
As a child, Snickerdoodles were always one of my favorite cookies to make, bake and eat. In fact, I was “known” for them in my family. They really are a fairly easy dough to put together. For children, the rolling in cinnamon sugar might be the “funnest” part.
When I considered turning snickerdoodles into a holiday cookie, it did not take me long to think of using eggnog to flavor them. Of course we have no eggnog here. No eggnog in the store, no eggnog in my latte, no eggnog in my creamer, no eggnog in my…well, you get the idea. I have never made it, although I think it could be delicious! Fortunately, I did not need an actual carton of eggnog to make these cookies delicious. In fact it took only a splash of rum flavoring and exchanging nutmeg for the cinnamon.
You might be surprised how the eggnog flavor can be tasted in every bite.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup rubia // demerara sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/3 cup rubia // demerara sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and rum extract. Gradually add in flour mixture stirring just until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining sugar and ground nutmeg. Using a tablespoon, roll dough into balls, then roll in nutmeg-sugar mixture. Place on the baking sheet about 2" apart. Bake at 375F until cookies are set and lightly browned, about 12-14 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet slightly about 3-4 minutes. Then, transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
This is part of the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies 2012 Series. View the other cookies in this series here:
Day One :: White Chocolate Apricot Oatmeal Cookies
Day Two :: Mocha Pecan Balls
Day Three :: Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprints
Day Four :: Allspice Thumbprints
Day Five :: Molasses Spice Cookies
Day Six :: Cardamom Snaps
Day Seven :: Sweet Polenta Twists
Day Eight :: Mexican Chocolate Cookies
Day Nine :: Frosted Flake Cookies
Don’t miss all the Christmas Cookies on Provecho Peru!