These delicious treats may make another appearance in springtime because they would be perfect! These cookies pack a lime punch, but are just sweet enough that you don’t find yourself puckering up with each bite. The green coloring is just an added treat, but you are welcome to leave that out.
Nevertheless, the sort of brought out the kid in me. I mean really, a whole forest of lime flavored trees? What could be better?!
- 200 grams butter, softened
- 1/2 cup rubia // demerara sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup key lime juice
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 2-3/4 cups flour
- 20 drops green food coloring
- 1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Green colored sugar or nonpareils
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light & fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in vanilla, key lime juice, and lime zest. Gradually add flour, mixing until all flour has been absorbed. Stir in food coloring. Chill dough until stiff, about 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll our dough onto a powdered sugar dusted surface. Cut dough with a tree-shaped cookie cutter. Place on baking sheet about 1" apart. Bake at 350F until cookies are set, about 11-12 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet about 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
This is part of the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies 2012 Series. View the other cookies in this series here:
Day One :: White Chocolate Apricot Oatmeal Cookies
Day Two :: Mocha Pecan Balls
Day Three :: Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprints
Day Four :: Allspice Thumbprints
Day Five :: Molasses Spice Cookies
Day Six :: Cardamom Snaps
Day Seven :: Sweet Polenta Twists
Day Eight :: Mexican Chocolate Cookies
Day Nine :: Frosted Flake Cookies
Day Ten :: Eggnog Snickerdoodles
Don’t miss all the Christmas Cookies on Provecho Peru!