Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole is a delicious way to serve sweet potatoes this Christmas!
Thanksgiving is not a holiday typically celebrated by Peruvians. Of course, it is a special day for America and it means a Turkey feast for Americans. I look forward to it each and every year. This past year was no different. A bunch of us Americans gather together at a friends house and we also have a few Brits and Peruvians, and sometimes even a German in the bunch.
Every year it is somewhat comical to see the Peruvians reaction to the medley of foods on the table. You have the turkey (without “flavor” like this one had), mashed potatoes (which are different than Peruvian ones…I will have to explain the difference sometime), stuffing (which I always explain as savory bread pudding), candied yams or some variation thereof, green bean casserole (not many eat veggies with any kind of cream sauce) and the infamous jello salad. It is on the dinner table, right? Of course! But my husband comments every time that it belongs on the dessert table along with the Chewy Ginger Cookies and Sweet Potato Pie Cupcakes I bring each year. But our jello salad graces the dinner table – it is as though we have license to enjoy dessert as PART of dinner and not afterward.
All that to say, it is interesting to hear what ARE the best dishes, given that they are often “new” and “different” for my husband. During Thanksgiving dinner, I watched as nearly everything was devoured but one dish in particular stood out as the “memorable” one this year. The Sweet Potato Casserole. I thought it would be the perfect addition to our Midnight Christmas Dinner table and the Pavo Navideño that we will enjoy.
- 4 cups sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup panela // brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Put sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, simmer until tender; drain and mash. Add sugar, salt, butter, milk and vanilla while the sweet potatoes are cooling.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Once the sweet potatoes are fairly cool, add the beaten eggs, being sure to stir well so that they do not cook as they are being added. Mix until smooth. Transfer the sweet potato mixture to a 9x9 square baking dish.
- In medium bowl, mix the panela sugar and flour together. Cut the butter into the mixture until the crumbs are pea sized. Stir in the pecans. Sprinkle the pecan mixture over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake at 350F until topping is lightly browned, about 25-30 minutes.
Sweet Potato Casserole in other kitchens:
Moms Sweet Potato Casserole on Sprinkle With Flour
Lighter Sweet Potato Casserole on A Dash of Cinnamon
Browned Butter Sweet Potato Casserole on Cooking Classy
Sweet Potato Casserole on My Baking Addiction
Sweet Potato Casserole with Brown Sugar Crumble on Chew Out Loud