I’m-Not-Sure-I’ll-Ever-Try-Another Banana Cake Recipe. This was just. that. good.
And when I say that, I really mean it. I have made a ton of banana bread, banana muffins and banana cake recipes. But seriously?!? This one rocks my socks off…every time I make it. This is NOT one of those recipes that gets lost in the files of “good.” This is the ONE that will be forever imprinted in your mind as the yummiest, moistest, most delicious banana cake ever!
I do tell a true story when I say that the very first time I made this, I had a LOT of doubts. The batter was super runny and it did not look like cake batter, but more like a thick shake. Yuck! But on a plus side, this is one of the easiest snack cakes to throw together on a whim. Who doesn’t have occasional brown bananas? And who can beat nothing more than one bowl and beaters to wash?
The cake baked for what seemed like forever and it looked like any other snack cake. But then, I tasted it. And truly, it was moist, delicious and flavorful.
Enough said…except…I’m-Not-Sure-I’ll-Ever-Try-Another Banana Cake Recipe.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups turbinado sugar (or half white, half brown)
- 3 very ripe, mashed bananas (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt (or buttermilk)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lime (or lemon!) juice
- 1 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat the sides and base of an 8 inch springform pan. Dust with flour.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, bananas, eggs and vanilla (yes! throw them all in together!). Beat on medium high for 2 minutes (for reals, 2 whole minutes...no less). Add yogurt and mix until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Beat until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Place into oven and bake for 50-60 minutes. Leave to cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge if needed and remove the sides of the springform pan. Once cool enough, remove the springform bottom and transfer to a cooling rack if still warm. (or you COULD just leave it on the springform bottom and frost it there)
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, butter and lime juice and beat until creamy. Sift in powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Spread over the top of the cake and decorate with chopped pecans!