Streusel Topped Passionfruit Bars
Streusel Topped Passionfruit Bars are a delicious balance between tart and sweet. They will be devoured at any party or gathering you bring them to!
For me, traveling with Americans is always a delight. After 10 years here in Peru, I do not always see everything as “new” and “exciting.” But, visitors are almost always enthralled with the tastes, sights and smells they have never experienced before. Just a few days ago, I was working with a small team in Pucallpa – the jungle of Peru. Meal after meal, we spent a considerable amount of time deciding on which juice to drink. They had Starfruit juice, Cocona juice, Papaya juice (yuck!), Pineapple juice and even Camu Camu juice. But I think the consensus often fell to Passionfruit juice, my personal favorite!
As the Americans were preparing to return to their country, I was preparing a dessert that they would never forget–Streusel Topped Passionfruit Bars. Given that passionfruit is my favorite fruit here in Peru, I have no shortage of ideas of how to incorporate it into a variety of desserts. One such dessert is the traditional Lemon Bar. You have probably eaten one and enjoyed it. Given that lemons are not easily found here in Peru, most “lemon” desserts quickly turn into “lime” desserts. But in my kitchen, I wanted to take that one step further and try the passionfruit in these delicious Streusel Topped Passionfruit Bars.
When I took a bite of one of the Streusel Topped Passionfruit Bars, I knew I had created a winner! They have a slightly crunchy shortbread bottom covered with a creamy sweet-tart passionfruit filling and sprinkled with a shortbread streusel. These Streusel Topped Passionfruit Bars were an absolute hit with my American, jungle visiting, friends. Not only did they love the passionfruit juice each time we drank it in the jungle but they LOVED these send-off Streusel Topped Passionfruit Bars!
If you have any access to passionfruit, these simply MUST be made! You will love the jungle flavored dessert!
These delicious bars have a slightly crunchy shortbread bottom covered with a creamy sweet-tart passionfruit filling and sprinkled with a shortbread streusel.
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 cups flour
- cooking spray
- 1 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup passionfruit puree
- 6 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a medium bowl, combine butter and sugar. Beat until creamy. Add flour and beat at a low speed until mixture has pea sized crumbs. Press 2 cups of the mixture into a 13x9 glass baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350F for 12 minutes. Set aside remaining flour mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Add passionfruit puree and continue to whisk together until completely combined and foamy. Beat in eggs until smooth. Pour mixture over the pre-baked crust. Bake at 350F for 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining flour mixture over the passionfruit filling and bake for an additional 12 minutes. Cool completely on a cooling rack before cutting into bars.
This recipe could be adapted to be lemon, lime, grapefruit or any other citrus you may feel adventurous enough to try.
Citrus Bars in Other Kitchens:
- Passionfruit Bars on Use Real Butter
- Grapefruit Bars on Confections of a Foodie Bride
- Triple Citrus Bars on Lick the Bowl Good
- Pink Grapefruit Bars on East of Eden Cooking
- Passionfruit Bars on Kitchen Corners
- Raspberry Lemonade Bars on Annie’s Eats