What does breakfast look like in your house? Are you a cold cereal or hot cereal family? Eggs? Pancakes? Or maybe you are one of those that “doesn’t eat breakfast” and rushes out the door with a cup of coffee to fill your belly?
Breakfast for me as a child consisted of instant oatmeal packets. Every. Day. I had my favorites and my not so favorites. I loved when they put out their strawberries and cream version but hated the maple and brown sugar flavor. I was just not raised to eat cold cereal out of a box.
But there is one cereal I make exception for…Granola! I love the crunch, the flavor and especially the fact that it does not get soggy in milk. There are all sorts of flavor combinations that I enjoy and I have been planning to share them with you for some time. Today’s Coconut Almond Granola recipe was one that I have had my mind on for quite some time but had to wait to buy coconut milk, since that is something the stores run out of quickly here.
Maybe coconut or almond doesn’t make you want to pull out your bowl and spoon like it does me, but I promise to have some other delicious varieties besides Coconut Almond Granola coming your way soon!
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups rolled barley
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup panela // brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 300F.
- In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, rolled barley, wheat germ, coconut, almonds, brown sugar and salt.
- Combine coconut milk, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Pour coconut milk mixture over the oat mixture and stir together until well combined.
- Bake at 300F for 60 minutes, stir occasionally for the first 45 minutes and more frequently for the last 15 minutes to prevent burning. Turn oven off but leave the granola in the oven to crisp.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a airtight container.