Peanut Chicken Salad
I tend to think certain recipes tend to fit into certain seasons. Isn’t that true for you too? Pumpkin pie should only be eaten in the fall. Soups come out in the fall and winter. Carrot cake is associated with spring. Summer means salad. This Peanut Chicken Salad is one thing I feel like I wait for all year long. I have made this every summer for the last several years because it is delicious, nutritious and unforgettable.
This Peanut Chicken Salad is incredibly easy to make, but I feel like the directions sound a bit complicated. Let me tell you what I do. When I think I am going to make this, I boil the chicken breast so it is ready to shred when I need it. If I don’t end up using it for this, I can easily shred it for something else. While the shredded chicken is marinating in the sauce, I shred the carrots and slice the onions and basil. Once I am finished chopping and slicing, the chicken is done marinating. Perfect timing!
Can I tell you something? My husband even devoured this! He hates green onions. When I say hate, I mean HATE. But somehow, the combination is so flavorful that he didn’t even notice they were in the salad.
- 1 whole chicken breast
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed key lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- 2 teaspoons sesame seed
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- lime wedges
- In a medium saucepan, combine whole chicken breast, bay leaves and peppercorns. Fill with water to cover chicken. Bring to a boil over high heat, then turn heat down. Simmer until chicken is thoroughly cooked, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow chicken to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, lime juice, sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, chili garlic sauce and salt.
- Shred cooled chicken and add to soy sauce mixture. Set aside to marinate, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- To the soy sauce chicken mixture, add brown rice, carrot, green onion, red onion, and basil. Stir to combine well.
- To serve, divide the lettuce between plates. Top with chicken salad mixture, divided evenly among plates. Sprinkle with peanuts and sesame seeds.
Rice Salads in Other Kitchens:
- Bok Choy Brown Rice Salad with Orange Sesame Dressing on Annie’s Eats
- Brown Rice Salad with Cumin and Lime Vinaigrette on Pinch My Salt
- Brown Rice Greek Salad on The Lemon Bowl
- Jamaican Rice Salad on The Family Kitchen
- Chicken, Mango & Rice Salad on weheartfood