Blog

Dorie’s Upside Down Cake [BWJ]

dories upside down cakeI had grand plans with Dorie’s Upside Down Cake. I was going to use it to show off a delicious and interesting fruit from Peru. While it may have looked royal, the cake itself left me wanting. Funny thing is, this is not the first upside-down cake in the Baking book that has come out leaving me wanting.

The first time I baked this Dorie’s Upside Down Cake, I made a large cake instead of the baby cakes. She said we could do that, but suggested a slightly larger springform pan. The cake fell flat and compacted into a “slab” cake instead of a light, fluffy buttery cake. I thought that it must have been because of the pan. As I pondered it, I realized that I had never before made an upside down cake in a springform – it had always been in a glass baking dish. So…I decided to bake it again.

dories upside down cakeThe second time, I used a smaller glass baking dish with half the batter. It seemed to be the perfect looking cake and I was very pleased with the difference. Until…this Dorie’s Upside Down Cake fell flat too. Mind you, the flavor is okay (not great) but the texture just isn’t that of real CAKE.

My plan? I will make this again with my own recipe. And if there is another upside down cake in our Baking with Julia future, I just may pass. Did you have success with yours? What is your secret for the Dorie’s Upside Down Cake?

Provecho!

Fresh Rhubarb Upside-Down Baby Cakes were hosted by Erin of When in Doubt…Leave it at 350 for Tuesdays With Dorie – Baking With Julia.

9 Responses to “Dorie’s Upside Down Cake [BWJ]”

1. Sorry this did not work out well for you. This turned out better than the other upside down cake for me.

Posted by smarkies | May 7, 2013, 6:54 am
  2. Your pictures are beautiful. I would love to know what fruit you ended up using. It looks like little tomatoes in the picture. I used a springform pan too and did not realize until reading your post that it was not supposed to be flat. Oh well.

Posted by Marlise | May 7, 2013, 1:21 pm
  3. I’d love to hear more about the fruit you used. I’m sorry the cake didn’t work out for you, though.

Posted by Teresa | May 7, 2013, 2:01 pm
  4. I think the secret is in the folding process, which I have yet to master. The more air you leave in before baking, the lighter the cake will be when it comes out of the oven. Also, are you maybe baking at a different altitude?

Posted by Tammy | May 7, 2013, 3:20 pm
    • I am baking at sea level. The first round, I beat more than folded. The second time, I carefully folded. I don’t have issues with other cakes, only these upside-down ones. The cake looks perfect when it comes out of the oven…the fall happens about 2 minutes later. As if all the air is vacuumed out! Ha!

Posted by Gretchen Noelle | May 7, 2013, 5:11 pm
  5. It’s so bad that this cake is not worked for you! I followed the instructions and had a very good result. Perhaps another recipe will work best for you.
    What is the fruit that you used? It has a beautiful yellow color and makes your dessert lovely!!!

Posted by Mel | May 7, 2013, 3:34 pm
  6. I’m so sorry you weren’t happy with this cake. Mine tasted delicious but I had a difficult time getting them out of the pan.
    Your fruit does look beautiful.

Posted by Cindy Harris | May 7, 2013, 3:56 pm
  7. Sorry to hear it didn’t turn out. But it does look lovely. The fruit looks nice.

Posted by SandraM | May 7, 2013, 4:03 pm
  8. Your cake looks beautiful, not at all like a failure. The type of fruit you used made us curious – what is it, and what type of flavor does it add to the recipe?

Posted by Inge and Gillian | May 8, 2013, 1:44 pm